Sunday, August 16, 2009

Where I've Been

Ok, so I obviously have not updated my blog much this summer. I’ll use this post to fill you in on what I’ve actually been doing, where I’ve been.
I spent the summer months (from the end of May to the end of July) working at Camp Westminster in Conyers, GA. Camp Westminster is a Christian summer camp for kids (ages 6 and up). The kids come and stay from a Sunday to Saturday, having lots of opportunities for outdoor activities such as horses, high ropes course, archery, swimming, paintball, etc... The main purpose of Camp Westminster is that “they might see Jesus.” The children participate in bible studies, attend daily Vespers services, and are constantly being pointed to Christ in His creation.
My official role at camp was “wrangler.” It was my job, along with four other wranglers, to daily care for the horses and teach the five activity sessions of horses (basically the kids come every day for an hour and we teach them how to ride). In the evenings and at night, I got to participate in the normal events of camp with my cabin. I personally think wranglers have the most fun at camp, but I’m sure others would argue with that! :-)
Earlier in this year, I began praying about options for my summer. I was looking into working at a Children's Home, or something of that nature. In April, one of my friends contacted me telling me about Camp Westminster. He had worked there last year, and knew that they were desperately in need of a wrangler for the summer. Within a few days I had an interview and within a couple of weeks, I was pulling into camp, ready to start! I was expecting it to be a good summer, but I never could have imagined all that life at camp meant...

No comments: